There are several events happening in Boston to honor and celebrate MLK Day. Here are some notable ones:
1. MLK Memorial Breakfast: A tradition of Boston, this annual event is the longest-running celebration of its kind in the United States, organized by the Black Ministerial Alliance of Greater Boston. It features keynote speeches, live performances, and honors individuals who have made significant contributions to civil rights. This year marks the 54th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Breakfast and will be held at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center + Livestream . You can find more information here.
2. MLK Day of Service: The City of Boston organizes a day of service to commemorate MLK's legacy. Volunteers participate in various community projects, such as cleaning parks, organizing food drives, and helping local nonprofits. Below are different organizations that will be hosting MLK day of Service:
- City Year Greater Boston’s MLK Day of Service
- Volunteers Incorporating Black Excellence (VIBE)
- MLK Day of Service for Young Professionals: Vilna Shul in partnership with Repair the World and About Fresh.
3. MLK Convocation at Boston University: Boston University will host The Annual Celebration of the Life and Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. on Monday, January 15, 2024, at 12 pm EST. This year’s theme is Whose Quest For Peace and Justice? Inspired by Dr. King’s 1964 Nobel Lecture titled The Quest for Peace and Justice. This event features remarks from Mayor Wu, and a keynote educational conversation with Dr. Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor moderated by Dr. Saida Grundy. Check out the university's event page for more details here.
4. MLK Tribute Concert: The Boston Symphony Orchestra holds a special tribute concert at Symphony Hall. This year, the Boston Children’s Chorus will be performing “In the Name of Love,” their 21st annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. tribute concert at 4 p.m. at Boston Symphony Hall. Tickets available here.
5. Family Friendly Events:
- George Russell Jr. and Friends will be playing at the JFK Presidential Library and Museum in honor of the day. The event is free but registration is required.
- MFA Boston will host their annual MLK Day Open House presented in partnership with Citizens. This year, the MFA offers free admission—including access to “Fashioned by Sargent”—for Massachusetts residents. Tickets available in person on a first-come, first-served basis. Admission is free with a valid Massachusetts zip code.
These are just a few of the events happening in Boston to honor MLK Day. Make sure to check local event listings and community organizations for more opportunities to celebrate and engage with MLK's legacy in the city.